juxtaposition: description vs. classification

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Tue Nov 25 23:12:59 UTC 2008

Thanks, Wolfgang, for this interesting post. I agree with almost
everything you said (about the gestalt-like nature of linguistic form,
and the inseparability of segmental and nonsegmental marking) with
regard to language description, but remember that we have been talking
about typological classification, not description.

I have been arguing that typological classification and description are
two very different enterprises, and that their confusion has often led
to problems in typology. (It's worst in generative linguistics, where
descriptive categories are universally assumed to be the same as the
categories needed for typological classification.)

Typological classification inevitably involves "reductions",
"isolations", and "depriving of gestalt properties". Languages differ
enormously from each other, and there is no way we could classify them
in a way that leaves their gestalt properties intact. And vice versa,
there is no way we could describe languages by just listing their
settings for a range of typological parameters.

For this reason, hard-core structuralists have tended to be skeptical of
typology, but since Greenberg's obviously significant work, the skeptics
have mostly become silent. But why was Greenberg successful? I would
argue that it was because he was bold enough to make "reductions" and
"isolations", and despite all this, he still found lots of fascinating
correlations. (See my paper "Comparative concepts vs. descriptive
categories in cross-linguistic studies,
http://email.eva.mpg.de/~haspelmt/papers.html.)

So I would not be surprised if one could find correlations even if one
classified Västerbotten Swedish with Papuan Malay only on the basis of
their lack of segmental marking, along the lines of Andrew Spencer's &
Irina Nikolaeva's original query.

Best wishes,
Martin