Online & Paper

Nick Thieberger thien at UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Sat Nov 29 00:29:46 UTC 2008

This is a very good point and exactly why linguists should be building
digital archives that will curate digital data over time. If we have
learned anything over the past decades it is that proprietary software
creates data in forms that cannot easily be accessed or reused over
time. We also know that digital data is extremely fragile and needs to
be stored in a number of locations on media that will be continually
updated. The international inititiatives OLAC
(http://www.language-archives.org/) and Delaman (delaman.org) aim to
provide support for such archives and examples are PARADISEC
(paradisec.org.au) (with which I am associated) or AILLA
(http://www.ailla.utexas.org/site/welcome.html).

Nick

Nick Thieberger
Assistant Professor