demonstrative or pronoun?

Siewierska, Anna a.siewierska at LANCASTER.AC.UK
Fri Aug 7 15:23:57 UTC 2009

Dear David,

In Polish you would use the demonstrative, To Jan.

Best

Anna

-----Original Message-----
From: Discussion List for ALT [mailto:LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG]
On Behalf Of David Gil
Sent: 07 August 2009 15:09
To: LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: demonstrative or pronoun?

Dear all,

Consider the following very similar contexts;

Context A:
John and Bill are friends.  John calls Bill on a landphone; it's a bad
line, Bill doesn't know who is speaking; John tries to identify himself
(using a predicate nominal construction)...

Context B:
John and Bill are friends.  John sends Bill a text message from a new
number that Bill is unfamiliar with; John identifies himself (using a
predicate nominal construction)...

My question:

In languages that you are familiar with, in the above contexts, is the
subject of the predicate nominal construction a demonstrative or a 1st
pronoun pronoun?

In English, the subject is a demonstrative; the pronoun is infelicitous
in the given context:

This is John
#I am John

But in Indonesian, the subject is most commonly a pronoun, though a
demonstrative is also possible:

Ini John [less common]
Aku John

I am curious to know what happens in other languages.  (I have a hunch
that the availability of the "pronominal subject" option in Indonesian
is correlated with the questionable status of pronouns as a discrete
grammatical category in Indonesian, but this hunch is easily testable
with a bit of cross-linguistic data.)

Note: I don't expect to find differences between the two contexts; I
provided both just in order to make the situation more natural to as
many respondents as possible.

Thanks,

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/