Are phrases universal?

Johanna Nichols johanna at BERKELEY.EDU
Fri Aug 28 06:09:01 UTC 2009

The entries on that WALS map were based on the marking in clauses and
possessive phrases, so for all six of those languages there seems to have
been something that could be identified as a possessive phrase (an NP with
an adnominal possessor).  I think all six languages have fixed word order
in those phrases, suggesting that there are indeed phrases there.

Johanna Nichols