German MIT

Johannes Reese johannesreese at GMX.DE
Thu Dec 17 10:28:09 UTC 2009

> Wir haben mit Eva eine wahre Freundin verloren.
> Uns verließ mit Paul ein guter Freund.

I could say, too, only for the first sentence:

Wir haben in Eva eine wahre Freundin verloren.

I believe that the basis for these constructions is not one of topic, but one
of additional participants. Maybe it has got to do with that specialty of
some languages to be able to add a sheer unlimited number of additional
participants that Rapaport Hovav and Levin found in their 1998 paper. That
would explain: 1) that some languages can't imitate it; 2) that it works
somehow different with other languages -- and the fact that with
different "constructions" in the CG sense different prepositions have to be
used.

Regards,

Johannes Reese