German MIT first summary

Paul Hopper hopper at CMU.EDU
Thu Dec 17 19:59:01 UTC 2009

It would be difficult to test MIT vs IN (and WITH vs. IN) in a corpus, but
when I typed "qualis artifex pereo" (the last words of Nero, according to
Suetonius) into google.com, I found about equal numbers of "What an artist
perishes in me" and "what an artist perishes with me". Going to the German
google.com, I also found both prepositions, e.g.:

Qualis artifex pereo! Welch großer Künstler scheidet mit mir dahin!
Qualis artifex pereo! Welch ein Künstler geht in mir zugrunde!

I wonder how this famous sentence is translated in other languages?

- Paul

On Thu, December 17, 2009 06:51, Wolfgang Schulze wrote:
> Dear Friends,
> many thanks for all these extremely helpful and illuminating data and
> comments .... Let me quickly summarize what we have so far:
>

> 1. Semantically speaking, the construction at issue is present in:
>

> German:   Preposition /mit/
> French:     Preposition /avec/ (Denis Creissels)
> Dutch:      Preposition /met /(?, no example) (Pieter Muysken)
> Russian:    Preposotion /v /'in' (Anna Filippova, Ilja Serzants) ~ /v
> ego lice/ (Marina Tchoumakina) Italian:      Preposition /con ~ in /(Paolo
> Ramat, Raffaele Simone)
>

> Personally, I'm left with the impression that the two concepts addressed
> (WITH and IN) are based on somehow different patterns: "IN someone we
> see (a) friend" (the Russian model/ в нем мы потеряли
> друга/) reads as
> if 'friend' is some kind of trajector related to the landmark 'he' (~
> 'his/her face/person etc..', to take up the second variant). The
> WITH-construction, however, seems to have a stronger notion of meronymy
> or 'equipment', as I hypothesized earlier. Maybe that all this also depends
> from the semantics of the verb, compare again German: /
> In ihm sehe ich einen guten Freund/. [lit.: in him see I a good friend]
> /Mit ihm schlage ich einen Freund/ [lit.: with him hit I a good friend"
>

> But
> /*In ihm schlage ich einen Freund/ [lit.: In him hit I a good friend]
> /*?mit ihm sehe ich einen Freund/ [lit.: with him see I a good friend]
>

> Maybe that all this has to do with areal [SAE?] patterns. But data are
> still too scant to think in more details about this....
>
> This brings me back to the two postings that concern German. Thomas
> Hanke wrote:
>
>> 1. For me, at least a direct postverbal position is ok, too.
>>

>> Wir haben mit Eva eine wahre Freundin verloren.
>> Uns verließ mit Paul ein guter Freund.
>>
> Yes, that's right! Obviously, the main point is that the /mit/-NP has to
> precede the 'target NP'. This is what Thomas argues for:
>> This may still be an issue of topic, of course. I agree that "mit"
>> following the regular NP doesn't work – some kind of binding perhaps at
>> work? That fits with your idea about meronymy, too. I'll be glad to get
>> other native speakers' feedback, especially on the second sentence,
>> where "mit Paul" displaces the subject from its regular position next to
>> the inflected verb.
> As for the possible ergative constraint I referred to:
>
>> 2. I'm not sure about the ergative constraint you proposed, either,
>> looking at the 'Paul left us' example with an accusative object. Mit Paul
>> hat uns ein guter Freund verlassen.
> True, I did not think about a sentence like this!
>
>> "Verlassen" may not be "very ergative", but the following examples
>> sound fine, too.
>>
>> Mit Hans hat mich ein Weltmeister geschlagen.
>> 'With Hans, a world champion beat/hit me.' (awkward English of course)
>> Uns hat mit Robert ein Spitzenkoch eingeladen.
> [...]

Prof. Dr. Paul J. Hopper
Senior Fellow
Freiburg Institute for Advanced Studies
Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
Albertstr. 19
D-79104 Freiburg
and
Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor of Humanities
Department of English
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213