[FUNKNET] Query on structural properties

Daniel Everett dlevere at ILSTU.EDU
Fri Dec 18 17:01:51 UTC 2009

I think Paul is right about this. I wouldn't use the term 'primitive' however, unless there were a well-worked out theory of the evolution of linguistic structure. Even then, such a theory would need to include discourse - quite a tall order. At the level of discourse Piraha, to take a random example, has plenty of recursion. Theories which explicitly attempt to account for discourse will not be surprised at the existence of such 'continua', as Paul puts it. Only syntactocentric theories would be, I think.

But my inchoate program is to look at specific structural markers. (Not the semantics. Of course the lack of an epistemic verb in a language would have nothing to say at all about whether the language can express epistemic concepts, etc.) How common/rare are some (or their absence)? Do some absences cluster together? (That is a *very* hard one to establish, clearly.) Can these be tested psycholinguistically, via corpora, etc? Lots of questions that interest me.

Of course, a culture or language could lack all of the things just mentioned at one level and have them at another. That is part of the program.

If anyone on the other side of the pond wants to flame me, you will have your chance to do so in person in February at the German Linguistic Society meetings in Berlin where I will be talking (one of the four plenary lectures) on culture and language. But just use words, OK? No bricks, etc.

Love & Peace,

Dan