Is it possible to verify the genetic taxa of world languages by typological methods?

Siva Kalyan sivakalyan.princeton at GMAIL.COM
Sun Dec 20 18:14:03 UTC 2009

Perhaps also relevant is the recent work by Dunn et al.:

Dunn, M, S C Levinson, E Lindström, G Reesink, and A Terrill, "Structural
Phylogeny in Historical Linguistics: Methodological Explorations Applied in
Island Melanesia." Language 84, no. 4 (2008): 710-759.

This would give a quantitative answer. Again, the answer seems to be yes.

Siva