Zero-coded plurals of pluralia tantum

Kazuto Matsumura kazuto.matsumura at NIFTY.COM
Mon Dec 21 02:14:14 UTC 2009

Dear Siva and all,

As this is a typology list, it would be very nice for
the coming summary of this dicsussion to include a
report on how common the phenomenon of pluralia tantum
itself is outside the Indo-European family of languages.

I am very curious, because the English-language Winkipedia
article on plurale tantum, for example, gives examples
taken from a few Indo-European languages only.

Incidentally, the "trousers" words in both Finnish and
Estonian are probably plurale tantum, but they are
languages spoken in areas adjacent to the SAE region
and have been strongly influenced by Swedish and German,
respectively, for centuries.

In case this is a topic that has already been discussed
here or studied somewhere, I apologize for my intrusion,
but ask you to kindly lead me to the relevant literature.

Thank you.

Kazuto Matsumura
Univ. of Tokyo

(2009/12/21 04:47)