Zero-coded plurals of pluralia tantum

Greville Corbett g.corbett at SURREY.AC.UK
Mon Dec 21 10:34:56 UTC 2009

Dear Kazuto
(and other number-buffs)

Besides the references that Alex kindly points out, there is a tricky set of
examples researched by Dick Hayward (more below).

A key question with pluralia tantum is whether we are dealing with items
which lack singular morphology, or with items which additionally are
restricted in their agreement possibilities. Thus English scissors lacks a
singular form and so - not unreasonably - lacks singular agreements. Tsez
xex-bi 'children' lacks a singular form, but doesn't let that stop it taking
the appropriate agreements (see Bernard Comrie 2001: 381-383, and p.c.,
Corbett 2000: 175, 2007).

A second point is to extend the analysis to larger systems, where we find
items which, say, lack the singular in a singular-dual-plural system, or
lack both singular and dual.

The Cushitic language Bayso, as described in Hayward (1979) is something of
a wonder. It has four number values, and the agreements are surprising,
namely that regular plural nouns take masculine singular agreement, and
paucal nouns take plural agreement. AND THEN, some nouns, naturally, don't
have all the number forms. For those wanting a linguistic challenge over the
break, it's spelled out in Corbett & Hayward (1987).

Corbett, Greville G. 2007. Deponency, syncretism and what lies between. In:
Matthew Baerman, Greville G. Corbett, Dunstan Brown and Andrew Hippisley
(eds) Deponency and Morphological Mismatches (Proceedings of the British
Academy, 145), 21-43. Oxford: British Academy and Oxford University Press.
Corbett, Greville G. & Hayward, Richard J. 1987. Gender and number in Bayso.
Lingua 73.1‑28.
Hayward, Richard J. 1979. Bayso revisited: some preliminary linguistic
observations ‑ II. Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies,
University of London 42.101–32.

Best to all
Grev
Greville Corbett

--
Greville G. Corbett

Surrey Morphology Group
English (J1)
Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences
University of Surrey
Guildford                                   email: g.corbett at surrey.ac.uk
Surrey, GU2 7XH
Great Britain                               phone:  +44 1483 682849
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/LIS/SMG/            fax:  +44 1483 686231