development of a copula from the verb 'to come'

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Mon Dec 21 20:21:43 UTC 2009

Dear Sebastian,
well, it depends from what you define as being a true copula.
Nevertheless, think of English /become/ (that is /be-come/), or German
/bekommen/ used as a process verb (or, in German, as an auxiliary to
encode the passive diathesis when foregrounding an 'indirect object').
Also, in Udi (East Caucasian) there is a verb /baksun /functioning both
in the sense of 'become' and 'be' (with certain tense forms). /baksun/
probably has its parallel in Caucasian Albanian or 'Old-Udi' (~ 600 AD),
where we have a verb /bAhesown/ (A is some kind of open o) meaning to
move (/go, come/). I guess that there are many more examples in the
languages of the world that have the concept of BECOME being derived
from motion verbs such as go, come etc.  The step then towards a true
copula is not too problematic, as shown e.g. by the Udi example.
Best wishes,
Wolfgang

--

*Prof. Dr. Wolfgang
Schulze    *

/Primary contact:

  /

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Ludwigstraße 25

Postanschrift / Postal address: Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1

D-80539 München

Tel.: 0049-(0)89-2180-2486
(Secretary)

         0049-(0)89-2180-5343