development of a copula from the verb 'to come'

Hannu Tommola Hannu.Tommola at UTA.FI
Tue Dec 22 07:18:50 UTC 2009

Just some examples of copula/Aux < (be)come:

Finnish:
tulla 1. 'come' 2. 'become' 3. future auxiliary

Estonian:
saama 1. 'get' 2. 'become' 3.  future auxiliary

Swedish:
komma 1. 'come' 2.  future auxiliary
bli 1. 'become' 2. future of 'be'

Russian:
bud-u, -eš', -et etc. 1. 'become' / future of 'be' 2. future auxiliary

and so on,

Merry Christmas to all,

Hannu

--
Hannu Tommola, Professor of Russian Language (Translation Theory and Practice)
School of Modern Languages and Translation Studies