development of a copula from the verb 'to come'

Anna Giacalone annaram at UNIPV.IT
Tue Dec 22 10:33:53 UTC 2009

Dear Sebastian,
if you want to include in your query the grammaticalization of "come "
as an auxiliary, then you should look for Italian, where venire "come"
is used for passive diathesis:
  la casa     venne distrutta
  the house came destroyed = was destroyed
In trhis context it would also be possible to use andare "go":
la casa andò distrutta.
I refer you to :
A. Giacalone Ramat , /On some grammaticalization patterns for
auxiliaries/, in J.C.Smith & Delia Bentley (eds), /Historical
Linguistics 1995/. /Vol.I: General issues and non-Germanic languages/.
Amsterdam, Benjamins, 2000, 125-154
best wishes
Anna