new graduate program in Leipzig; PhD scholarships

Balthasar Bickel autotype at UNI-LEIPZIG.DE
Mon Jan 19 10:34:04 UTC 2009

Dear all

The following new graduate program in Leipzig may also be of interest
to students in typology:

***************************************
International Max Planck Research School (IMPRS) on Neuroscience of
Communication: Function, Structure, and Plasticity

http://imprs-neurocom.mpg.de

***************************************
The International Max Planck Research School (IMPRS) on Neuroscience
of Communication: Function, Structure, and Plasticity is based at the
Max Planck Institute (MPI) for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences,
Leipzig, and the University of Leipzig (Germany). The IMPRS also
involves the MPI for Evolutionary Anthropology, Leipzig, and the
Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience at University College London, UK.

The IMPRS offers a unique interdisciplinary graduate programme to
study the functional, structural, and plastic bases of human
communication. Its overriding goal is to train Ph.D. students in
multidisciplinary aspects involved in communicative action. Besides
behavioural work, the programme draws on elaborate modern imaging
techniques including a 7-Tesla MRI scanner and a 306-channel MEG system.

Successful candidates will be accepted into one of the following four
modules of the school:
(1) Verbal Communication: Language;
(2) Non-verbal Communication:
Action and Interaction;
(3) Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical;
(4) Methods: Modern neuroimaging techniques, biophysics, and signal
processing.

Requirement for successful candidates is a Master's (or qualified
equivalent) degree in disciplines like computer science, linguistics,
neurobiology, neurology, physics, psychiatry, psychology, or related
fields. Candidates near to completion may also submit applications,
indicating the date of completion. Depending on qualification and
background, we may consider applicants with a Bachelor's degree.

Further requirements include outstanding academic performance;
excellent oral and written English language skills; aptitude for
original, independent, and creative work; performed research and
published, or submitted for publication, results (desirable).

The application must be supported by a degree and school certificate,
academic transcripts, a CV, three names and email addresses of
academic referees, and a personal statement explaining the candidate's
motivation and reasons for pursuing a Ph.D. at the IMPRS. Applications
should indicate the preferred module into which the candidate wishes
to be accepted, and specify the preferred supervisor.

All admitted students receive financial aid in the form of a
scholarship for the duration of three years. The language of the IMPRS
is English. Visit www.leipzig.de for information on living in Leipzig,
Germany, in the heart of Europe.

We seek to increase the number of women in those areas where they are
under-represented and therefore explicitly encourage women to apply.
We are committed to employing more handicapped individuals and
especially encourage them to apply.

For further information and application details, go to our website
listed above, or contact

Dr Antje Holländer, Co-ordinator of the IMPRS (see contact information
below)

Applications are to be submitted in electronic format only until 31
March 2009.
We will start assessing applications as of mid-February 2009. The
graduate
programme will start with the Summer Semester 2009 at the University
of Leipzig
(1 April 2009).

Application Deadline: 31-Mar-2009

Mailing Address for Applications: