query: sarcastic antonymic nicknames

Dolgor Guntsetseg dolgor.guntsetseg at LING.UNI-STUTTGART.DE
Thu Nov 26 13:44:21 UTC 2009

Dear all,

in Mongolian, such nicknames are normal. Most people have a nickname,
sometimes two or more. The way to give a nickname is differently,
sometimes it concerns certain character, sometimes description of body
parts and so on. And most of these nicknames are humorous. Here are some
examples:
One friend of mine has the nickname "eyebrow". He got this nickname
therefore, if he is drunken (just after two or three bottles beer),  he
has upside-down V eyebrows.
Another one has the nickname "muscle". Yes, he has big muscle, but that
is not the reason. He always tries to show his muscles (if there are
girls!) doing it quite casually. Unlike to Eyebrow, Mucscle does not
like his nickname, so people do not use this nickname before his  face.

Gunne