query: sarcastic antonymic nicknames

Siva Kalyan sivakalyan.princeton at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 26 14:59:55 UTC 2009

Returning for a moment to Mike Morgan's Marathi example, I don't think the
name "Shweta" for a dark-skinned woman is sarcastic. Shweta is a fairly
typical given name (not a nickname), and also I don't know whether it's the
everyday Marathi word for "white", or whether it's simply a borrowing from
Sanskrit. I'm not a Marathi speaker (I come from a Tamil-speaking family),
but to me it seems that speakers wouldn't really think of the literal
meaning of the name.
Siva