query: sarcastic antonymic nicknames

角田 太作 tsunoda at NINJAL.AC.JP
Mon Nov 30 09:50:47 UTC 2009

Dear All,
   This is a very quick note on the Japanese language. It does not
constitute a reply to David’s question to Midori. But it is relevant to
Jeffrey Heath’s posting regarding Warlpiri antonyms.

   There is a place called Iruma (now Iruma City) about 50 km (?) north of
Tokyo.
   About 20 years ago, a certain Japanese dialectologist (now deceased) told
me that there was a phenomenon called ‘Iruma kotoba’ (Iruma speech’).
   According to that dialectologist, people of Iruma were said to use
antonyms. He told me a – funny but sad -- anecdote. Roughly speaking, the
story goes as follows.

“(Probably hundreds of years ago) a traveler came to Iruma. There was a
river in Iruma, but there was no bridge. The traveler had to wade across the
river. He asked the local people, ‘Is this river deep or shallow?’ The river
was deep. But the Iruma people use the antonym, and said ‘The river is
shallow’. Upon hearing this, the traveler walk into the river and – alas! --
he was drowned.”

   The dialectologist told me that use of antonyms is called ‘Iruma kotoba’
(Iruma speech) in Japanese dialectology (if I remember correctly). I believe
that the name ‘Iruma kotoba’ and the anecdote cited above are well known
among Japanese dialectologists.

Tasaku Tsunoda

P.S.
Would anyone please advise me if you have received message?