Composed number (also called "double plural")

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Mon Oct 12 17:10:40 UTC 2009

Dear Bernard,

Udi (East Caucasian, Lezgian branch) has lots of composed plurals, most
of them, however, lexicalized. Yet in some instances, minimal pairs are
still present, e.g.

/pop /        'hair'  (mass)
/pop-ur/    'hair' (collective)
/pop-ur-ux/  '[many strings of] hair'

/bush  / 'camel'
/bush-ur /'group of camels'
/bush-ur-ux/ 'camels'

Historically, /-ur /once denoted (class speicifc) colelctives, and /-ux
/'multiple individuation'....
I can send you the relevant section of my forthcoming 'Grammar of Udi',
if you want....

Best wishes,
Wolfgang

--

*Prof. Dr. Wolfgang
Schulze    *

/Primary contact:

  /

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Ludwigstraße 25

Postanschrift / Postal address: Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1

D-80539 München

Tel.: 0049-(0)89-2180-2486
(Secretary)

         0049-(0)89-2180-5343