Question about answers

Gideon Goldenberg msgidgol at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL
Sat Jan 2 20:05:06 UTC 2010

Dear Nick,
Because of some urgent commitments I cannot at the moment answer your
questions in detail. May I just mention that in Biblical Hebrew a
negative answer can be given by the interjection(?)  "lo", followed or
not followed by formulating the correct statement, whereas a positive
answer seems to require a "system B" form (à la latine), and no "yes"
is available. In later Hebrew the word "ken" ("yes") will make a
natural positive unswer, with or without a repetition.
More interesting are answers to negatively couched questions. In
Amharic, the answer to "Don't you come?" will be "yes", ,meaning "you
are right, I won't", or "no" = "you are wrong, I will come". One will
keep in mind tha in french, the answer "oui" to such a question will
mean "yes, I don't come" and the answer "non" may mean the same, viz.
"no, I don't come"; answering such question by "si" will confirm the
contrary of the negative expression questioned = "(but) I  d o  come".
Gideon.