threats: forwarded from Arnold Zwicky

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Mon Jan 11 17:07:55 UTC 2010

Arnold Zwicky asked me to forward the following message to the list ...

David

**********

From: Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu>
Date: January 11, 2010 6:35:37 AM PST
To: Linguistic Typology <lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org>
Subject: Re: threat

On Jan 11, 2010, at 5:32 AM, Paul Hopper wrote:

> Dik,
>
> Is the Dutch threat construction accompanied by a special intonation,
> like
> the English "_I'll_ teach him, etc."?

i don't know about the Dutch and German versions, but the English
version doesn't necessarily have this special intonation. there's
discussion here:
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/005297.html
(with links to earlier discussions).

> My mother used to say things like "I'll give you throw the paper"
> (scolding the newspaper boy, who has thrown the paper onto the porch
> instead of walking up the steps with it). This could be older British
> English, as I haven't heard anyone say it for many years -- I don't know
> if it's still current. The use of 'give' recalls the Russian dative in
> Alexander's examples.

"I'll give you VP" (conveying roughly 'don't VP, stop VPing') is new to
me, but i'm familiar with "I'll give you EXPRESSION" (e.g., "I'll give
you 'Shut up!'"),. conveying roughly 'don't say EXPRESSION to me'.

arnold

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics