Snowman or snowwoman?

Hannu Tommola Hannu.Tommola at UTA.FI
Sun Jan 24 20:01:22 UTC 2010

Sorry, Florian, but I'd protest: don't generalize Finn. _ukko_ as
pejorative, even if it has several different uses.

First, Ukko was one of the Carelian gods.

Second, it is of the same origin as _uros_ 'male', which is reflected
in compounds like _ukkometso_ 'male grouse'.

Third, cf. the meaning 'principal' in e.g. _ukkovarvas_ 'big toe'.

It has rather a familiar and respectful color in e.g. _isäukko_ '(my)
father / old man', _appiukko_ 'father-in-law', _ukkomies_ 'married
man' etc. Cf. also _ukko(nen)_ 'thunder' and dial. 'grandfather'.

The corresponding female is _akka_ which may have similar stylistic
shades of meaning, though probably with different distribution.

Best,
Hannu

P.S. there was a related question of 'snow battle'; 'snow war' in
Finnish (_lumi+sota_)

--
Hannu Tommola, Professor of Russian Language (Translation Theory and Practice)
School of Modern Languages and Translation Studies