Language Description Heritage (LDH) open access digital library

Eduardo R. Ribeiro kariri at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 17 14:15:35 UTC 2010

That's a great iniciative. Thanks!  I'd just like to mention two similar
projects on South American languages:

the Curt Nimuendaju digital library, which offers hard-to-find, out-of-print
books and articles:
http://biblio.etnolinguistica.org

and Etnolinguistica.Org's dissertation library, which currently lists 165
freely-available theses and dissertations
http://www.etnolinguistica.org/teses

Best,

Eduardo
http://wado.us

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Cysouw" <cysouw at EVA.MPG.DE>
To: <LINGTYP at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:06 AM
Subject: Language Description Heritage (LDH) open access digital library

Dear colleagues,

it is my pleasure to announce the Language Description Heritage (LDH) open
access digital library, available online at

http://ldh.livingsources.org

The LDH is being compiled at the Max Planck Society in Germany, specifically
at the MPI for Evolutionary Anthropology in Leipzig in cooperation with the
Max Planck Digital Library in Munich.

The goal of the LDH is to make available existing descriptive and analytic
work about the world’s languages. The main focus is to provide easy access
to traditionally difficult to obtain scientific contributions. Specifically,
there are many unpublished theses and manuscripts with valuable data on
individual languages that are often unknown and unavailable to the wider
linguistic community. Also many out-of-print publications with a limited
availability in research libraries deserve a much wider audience and
recognition.

To enhance to flow of scientific discussion, we offer this platform to make
electronic version of said contributions freely available. The Language
Description Heritage Digital Library minimally provides photographic scans,
downloadable in PDF format (more is planned for the future). Most
importantly, all content in this digital library is available under a
permissive Creative Commons (CC-by) license, so everything can be freely
used for all scientific purposes.

When you are the author and/or rights-holder of a suitable publication,
please and consider making your works available under a CC-license. This is
a very simply process. Basically, you sign a permission form
(http://ldh.livingsources.org/files/2009/08/formular13081.pdf) and send this
to us. Detailed instructions can be found at
http://ldh.livingsources.org/for-authors/

We recommend you assign a bare CC-by (“Attribution”) license to your work,
though you might also opt for an even freer CC-zero (“No Rights Reserved”,
equivalent to “Public Domain”). Clear an open licensing enhances the
exchange of scientific ideas. In choosing a license, please be aware that
there is a difference between scientific recognition and commercial
recognition of your work. Whatever license you choose for your work, this
does not regulate scientific recognition!  To obtain more scientific
recognition it is best to make your work as broadly and easily available as
possible, so others can find and acknowledge your work without restriction.
To enhance the exchange of scientific results, we recommend you to choose a
highly permissive license.

best
Michael Cysouw

Max Planck Institut for evolutionary Anthropology – Library
Language Description Heritage (LDH) project
Deutscher Platz 6
04103 Leipzig, Germany

email: ldh at eva.mpg.de

Scientific Mentoring: Prof. Dr. Bernard Comrie, Dr. Michael Cysouw
Library Assistance: Gisela Lausberg, Kirstin Baumgarten