journal publication and journal lists

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Mon Mar 29 16:09:02 UTC 2010

On Mar 29, 2010, at 8:23 AM, Frans Plank wrote to Nigel Vincent:

> ... I'd assume readers have their personal rankings of what they
> like to read (and cite), journal-wise or self-published, in their
> heads or guts anyhow.  So, why bother with ERIHs and the like?  Is
> linguistics really such a vast enterprise that hiring and firing,
> promotion, funding and such business can't be done properly without
> such assistance -- by just reading the work someone has done, rather
> than checking her/his h-index?

I can't speak for linguistics programs around the world, but in the
U.S., the informed opinion of the linguistics faculty is never enough
to serve for recommendations for hiring and firing, promotion and
tenure, setting salaries, etc.  Committees and administrators at
various levels (very few of whom know anything about linguistics, much
less are linguists) may require statements from the candidate,
evaluations of teaching, publications lists, and recommendations from
outside evaluators (who sometimes must themselves be established as
authorities on the basis of their own publications list and citation
indices) about research.  For some types of cases at some
institutions, citation indices are *required*, and often the absence
of such indices (even when they aren't actually required) is viewed as
a minus by university committees and administrators.

So we're sometimes stuck with using citation indices, and the best we
can do is search for the better ones.  (And then it's not unknown for
higher evaluating bodies to ask pointedly why the department did *not*
use the "standard" Thomson Reuters indices.)

arnold