Dunn et al. on word order typology in "Nature"

Michael Dunn michael.dunn at MPI.NL
Thu Apr 14 13:11:40 UTC 2011

Hi Søren,

Phylogenetic comparative methods are agnostic to the factor that prompts
the change. The existence of a functional dependency would predict that
the dependent elements would be regularly borrowed together, or if not,
that they would regularly harmonize; conversely, lack of functional
dependency would predict that the features could be borrowed
independently. I'm not sure what the systematic bias would be in that
case: you could argue that contact would exaggerate the appearance of
functional dependency where it doesn't really exist (so, the link
between VO and ADP order in AN might be a replicate of an accidental
association of these features in some non-AN languages), but you could
equally argue that if these features were independent then they
shouldn't be borrowed together so regularly.  Basically, the source of
innovation is not relevant at this level of analysis.

Best, Michael

Link to paper and supplementary materials:
http://www.mpi.nl/publications/escidoc-95245/

--
Michael Dunn, Max Planck Research Group Leader:
 Evolutionary Processes in Language and Culture