Atkinson on phoneme inventories in Science

Everett, Daniel DEVERETT at BENTLEY.EDU
Thu Apr 21 16:53:38 UTC 2011

Here is the wiki on Simpson's paradox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpson%27s_paradox

Some of the best new work in linguistics is being done by non-linguists. The work of the folks at TedLab (http://tedlab.mit.edu/tedlab_website/Publications.html) in Brain and Cognitive Sciences at MIT is another example. Collaboration is key to avoiding some of the shortfalls, but the day when linguists like me, with the mathematical skills of a donkey, can publish without experimental and statistical support are fading quickly.

I think those of us in the mathematically Luddite generation should work harder to understand and to engage in collaborative efforts like those of Dunn, Atkinson, etc.

Dan