Antipassives without overt expression of O

Antoine Guillaume Antoine.Guillaume at ISH-LYON.CNRS.FR
Wed Dec 21 08:30:25 UTC 2011

Dear stefanie,

In Cavineña (Tacanan, Amazonian Bolivia) there is a productive reduplication
process that has a "patientless" antipassive effect when applied to a
transitive verb: the A of the underived verb becomes the S of the derived
verb, while the O "disappears" (it cannot be expressed anymore).

(1) Era      takure   ara-ya.
    1SG.ERG  chicken  eat-IMPFV
    'I am eating chicken.'

(2) Ara~ara-ya	ike.
    eat~eat-IMPFV	1SG.ABS
    'I am eating / having a meal.'

This is discussed in the following works:

Guillaume, A. 2008. A Grammar of Cavineña. MGL #44. Mouton de Gruyter. (pp.
278-282).

Guillaume, A., Forthcoming, "The interaction of reduplication with word
classes and transitivity in Cavineña", To appear in Reduplication in South
American Indian Languages, Goodwin Gómez, G. & van der Voort, H. (eds),
Studies in the Indigenous Languages of the Americas, Brill.
(http://www.ddl.ish-lyon.cnrs.fr/fulltext/Guillaume/articles_pdf/Guillaume_F
orthc_Cavinena_Reduplication_Brill.pdf)

Best regards,

Antoine Guillaume
Laboratoire Dynamique Du Langage (DDL)
UMR 5596 (CNRS & Université Lumière Lyon 2)
Institut des Sciences de l'Homme
14 avenue Berthelot
69363 LYON Cedex 07
FRANCE