query: Where are you going?

Mike Morgan mwmbombay at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 20 06:43:35 UTC 2011

Tasaku Tsunoda writes:
>    I heard that in Osaka area of Japan, a common greeting is (or was?):
> Mookarimakka?
> 'Are you making any profit/money?'
> Presumably this greeting is (or was?) used among merchants.

As a long time Osakan, that is indeed what people learning the local
dialect are taught/told. Cannot say that I ever actually heard it in
natural (non-joking) speech though...

And, in Osaka, EVERYONE is interested in money -- whether as a
merchant or making a deal, getting a little extra as a consumer (or
anyway, that is the stereotype) ;-)

mwm || U C > || mike || мика  || माईक || マイク || மாய்க் (aka Dr Michael W
Morgan)

Senior Consultant
BA in Applied Sign Language Studies (BAASLS)
*इन्दिरा* गांधी राष्ट्रीय मुक्त विश्वविद्यालय | Indira Gandhi National Open
University, New Delhi, India

"Too often we honor swagger and bluster and wielders of force; too often we
excuse those who are willing to build their own lives on the shattered
dreams of others. ... [T]here is another kind of violence, slower but just
as deadly destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the
violence of institutions; indifference and inaction and slow decay." (Bobby
Kennedy, 5 April 1968)