Evidentiality and expression of evidence

Hannu Tommola Hannu.Tommola at UTA.FI
Tue Mar 8 15:19:01 UTC 2011

Dear Sasha,

I'm not sure if this is extremely interesting to you, but here are
some ways to render the same in Finnish (with no grammatical
evidentials, either, unlike Estonian).

1.
Vasja-n	pallo	puuttu-u,	se	on	näköjään	pelaa-ma-ssa.
Vasja-s	ball	miss-3SG	3SG	is	VIDNO		play-3INF-INESS
'Vasja's ball is missing, VIDNO he is out playing.'

2.a.
Vasja-n	pallo	puuttu-u,   se	näk-y-y	        ole-va-n	pelaa-ma-ssa.
Vasja-s	ball	miss-3SG    3SG	see-REFL-3SG	be-PART-GEN	play-3INF-INESS
'Vasja's ball is missing, he seems to be out playing.'

2.b.
Vasja-n	pallo	puuttu-u,  se	nä-y-ttä-ä	   ole-va-n	pelaa-ma-ssa.
Vasja-s	ball	miss-3SG   3SG	see-REFL-CAUS-3SG  be-PART-GEN	play-3INF-INESS
'Vasja's ball is missing, it looks like he is out playing.'

3.
Vasja-n	pallo	puuttu-u,	se	taita-a		olla	pelaa-ma-ssa.
Vasja-s	ball	miss-3SG	3SG	seem-3SG	be	play-3INF-INESS
'Vasja's ball is missing, KAZHETSJA he is out playing.'

4.
Vasja-n	pallo	puuttu-u,	se	liene-e		pelaa-ma-ssa.
Vasja-s	ball	miss-3SG	3SG	be.POT-3SG	play-3INF-INESS
'Vasja's ball is missing, KAZHETSJA he is out playing.'

Item 1 demonstrates an adverb derived from the stem näk/h- ‘see’; this
is clearly inferential. (Besides, isn’t VIDIMO also used similarly in
Russian?)

2a and 2 b use modal auxiliaries, both derivatives of nähdä ‘see’.
Both are used, however, 2a (with näkyä ‘to be seen’) is not
necessarily inferential, but rather directly evidenced by sight,
whereas 2b is used very much like KAZHETSJA. i.e. not necessarily with
visual evidence.

In 3 there is a “potential auxiliary” which is frequently used to
replace the synthetic potential (in 4).

Obs. that 1, 2 and 3 all display different syntactic structures.
There are a few other lexical means (adverbs and verbs) to express
evidentiality in Finnish, but these come to my mind first when
speaking of inferentiality; 3 and 4 need not have this specific
meaning, either (similar to KAZHETSJA).

Of course, another sentence order is at least as natural (from the
inferred to the cause):

Vasja	on  näköjään	pelaa-ma-ssa,	 kun	se-n	pallo	puuttu-u.
Vasja	is  VIDNO	play-3INF-INESS	because	3SG-GEN	ball	miss-3SG
'Vasja is VIDNO out playing, since his ball is missing'

Best,
Hannu

--
Hannu Tommola, Professor of Russian Language (Translation Theory and Practice)
School of Modern Languages and Translation Studies