Publishing

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at UNI-ERFURT.DE
Tue Nov 15 11:18:36 UTC 2011

Dear Nigel and everybody,

that is exactly the proposal that I have been waiting for and would have
made myself. I am willing to cooperate in your working group.

Just a few thoughts:

1) Apart from a few idealists, most of those colleagues who have the
necessary standing to draw prestige to the online linguistics publishing
facility and are "prepared to be tough in terms of peer review and
quality selection" would want some kind of remuneration for their
service. That's the way this world is; we know it from experience with
people who are on editorial or advisory boards of journals and series.
That remuneration is not necessarily money, although that option would
always work if money is available. The problem is that it detracts from
the outspoken goal of making such publications freely available.

2) One might therefore think of a model where a member of that online
publishing board takes on the duty of reviewing one book or two articles
every two years and gets some (immaterial) benefit in return. (Ideas
wanted of what that might be.)

3) Since your idea in itself is exactly what is needed, I assume that
there will be, in the mid-run, more than one such online linguistics
publishing facility. In order to get the idea running, it might be
useful to allocate it rather highly. I offer to submit it to the CIPL
Executive Committee, if that seems reasonable to members of your working
group. CIPL fulfills a couple of presuppositions for that role:
- It is international and, indeed, in charge of a couple of permanent
agenda on behalf of linguists worldwide.
- It has a certain prestige (although not quite the prestige that it
ought to have).
- It has a certain infrastructure (although, again, that aspect remains
improvable).
- It disposes of some money (although, again, ...) and might have the
possibility to raise some more.

Best,
Christian

--
Prof. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Seminar für Sprachwissenschaft

Tel.:   +49/361/737-4201    (selbst)
         +49/361/737-4200    (Sekr.)
Fax:    +49/361/737-4209

E-Post: Christian.Lehmann at Uni-Erfurt.De
http://www.christianlehmann.eu