SOV original word order?

Matthew Dryer dryer at BUFFALO.EDU
Mon Oct 17 19:42:29 UTC 2011

I agree that proposing a word order for the original human language is
going pretty far out on a speculative limb.  I think it is impossible to
conclude even for more widely accepted language families what the word
order of the proto-language is.  Word order is so easily changed due to
contact that even in a family where all languages are SOV, it could
easily have been the case that the proto-language was SVO and that a
change to SOV spread throughout all the languages in the family early in
its history when the languages were in close contact with each other.

On the other hand, if all the current languages in a family are SOV,
then the best answer to a “pearly gates question” regarding the original
word order is that it is most likely SOV.  (A pearly gates question is
the following.  Suppose you die and go to the Pearly Gates and St. Peter
asks you a question and tells you that if you answer the question
correctly you get to spend the rest of eternity in heaven but if you
answer it incorrectly you spend the rest of eternity in hell, and
crucially, if you refuse to answer the question, you spend the rest of
eternity in hell.)

So suppose the pearly gates question is “What was the dominant order of
subject, object, and verb in the original human language?”  While most
of us might want to refrain from answering, that isn’t an option with a
pearly gates question.  And given the current distribution of word order
in the world, any answer other than SOV would be foolish.  The
distribution of SOV versus SVO in the world in quite striking in that
although the two orders are about equally common, SOV is much more
common in small language families, suggesting that there was a time a
few thousand years ago when SOV was by far the most common word order in
the world.  (This assumes that there was an original human language.
But if St. Peter were to ask the question, which presupposes that there
was, then we could assume there was.)

So, I would also say that the idea that there was a single original
human language and that that language was SOV probably has a higher
chance of being true than any claim about the human mind that any
generative syntactician has made in the last 30 years, and (though this
is probably more contentious) than any reconstructed forms for
Proto-Indo-European being correct.  There’s a lot of highly speculative
work in linguistics.

One might concede that even if their conclusion might be true, some of
the assumptions they make about remote genealogical classification that
underlie their argument are more questionable and that in science it’s
not enough to be right; the evidence that one is right is more
important.  Perhaps, but I don’t think their argument depends much on
the particular assumptions they make.  I think that most assumptions
about genealogical classification would lead to the same conclusion.

Matthew Dryer