pretonic lengthening of vowels

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Tue Feb 21 09:21:02 UTC 2012

Henning's description of Standard Russian sounds rather like western
dialects of Colloquial Indonesian (even down to the misperception by
foreigners), as described in ...

Gil, David (2006) "Intonation and Thematic Roles in Riau Indonesian", in
C.M. Lee, M. Gordon, and D. Büring eds., Topic and Focus,
Cross-Linguistic Perspectives on Meaning and Intonation, Studies in
Linguistics and Philosophy 82, Springer, Dordrecht, 41-68.

.. though with the following qualifications:

1. the accent (which is always on the last syllable) is phrasal, ie. it
is on the last syllable of the phrase, not the word;

2. the lengthening of the penultimate syllable is optional, and would
seem to bear some kind of discourse function;

3. there is no vowel reduction in Indonesian, so the vowel lengthening
is not meant to "save" a syllable from reduction (which is why I did not
respond to the original query).

David

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/