SV: query: taboo against 3 people in picture

Frances Kofod fkofod at BIGPOND.NET.AU
Wed Feb 22 12:55:00 UTC 2012

In Bali people I met were happy, even really wanted to be photographed but I could not the pregnant woman in the family I was visiting.
I don't think any of my photographs are of three people.
Frances
On 22/02/2012, at 8:37 PM, David Gil wrote:

> Jan,
>
> Yes, even Indonesian has similar expressions.  However, in the case of 'three is a crowd' and such, I think the implicature is clearly that four (and above) would be even worse, whereas in the case of the 3-people-in-picture taboo, a common way of solving the problem is to invite an additional person into the picture -- the taboo is specifically for three.
>
> David
>

>> Dear David,
>>
>> Hailing from a different part of the world, your query made me think of such phrases as 'Three is a crowd' and 'Ménage á trois', which suggest that three is one too many.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Jan

Frances Kofod
PO Box 1918