given names

Giorgio Francesco Arcodia -- ============================================================ Ljuba Veselinova, Associate Professor Dept of Linguistics, Stockholm University, S-10691 Stockholm, Sweden Phone: +46-8-16-2332 Fax: +46-8-15 5389 URL : http://www2.ling.su.se/staff/ljuba/ "We learn by going where we want to go." Julia Cameron ============================================================ giorgio.arcodia at UNIMIB.IT
Sun Jul 22 17:27:35 UTC 2012

Dear colleague,

In Chinese (and Sinitic in general) many names are
gender-neutral, but not all of them. For instance, 杰 jié
('outstanding') is a very common name used both for boys
and girls; very often the only clue to the gender of the
name-bearer is the usage of certain characters/morphemes,
the meaning of which is associated with feminine or
masculine 'images', let us say.
Note that Chinese does not mark gender on adjectives and
nouns; I suspect that there might be a connection between
this characteristic and having gender-neutral names (see
the jié example above).

Please let me know if you should need more data on that.
Best,

Giorgio F. Arcodia

--
Dr. Giorgio Francesco Arcodia
Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca

Tel.: (+39) 02 6448 4946
Fax: (+39) 02 6448 4863
E-mail: giorgio.arcodia at unimib.it