given names

Giorgio Francesco Arcodia -- ============================================================ Ljuba Veselinova, Associate Professor Dept of Linguistics, Stockholm University, S-10691 Stockholm, Sweden Phone: +46-8-16-2332 Fax: +46-8-15 5389 URL : http://www2.ling.su.se/staff/ljuba/ "We learn by going where we want to go." Julia Cameron ============================================================ giorgio.arcodia at UNIMIB.IT
Sun Jul 22 22:08:23 UTC 2012

Dear Chao,

I never wrote (or thought) that most Chinese names are
gender-neutral, I just wrote that you can find many
examples of gender-neutral names, more than English at any
rate; I think I wrote quite clearly that the meaning of
morphemes of the name itself help you understand whether
it is a male or a female name. If a name as 杰 jié (or 捷
jié) is typically associated with a man but you also use
it for a woman, then to me it is gender-neutral; you do
not use 'Mark' for a girl, or 'Ann' for a boy in English.
Since you mentioned the distinction between written and
spoken form, I may add that in the spoken form there can
be even more ambiguity: if a person's given name is 'lì',
for instance, you can associate it to characters/morphemes
as 力 'strength' and 丽 'beauty', which evoke quite
different images.

Best,

Giorgio

--
Dr. Giorgio Francesco Arcodia
Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca

Tel.: (+39) 02 6448 4946
Fax: (+39) 02 6448 4863
E-mail: giorgio.arcodia at unimib.it