Font-related problem for linguists

Michael Cysouw cysouw at EVA.MPG.DE
Fri Mar 2 11:33:11 UTC 2012

Thanks for the tip, Stefanie:

indeed, there is a different glyph for the italic ɑ in Charis SIL, but for some strange reason it is not turned on by default:

see http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/render_download.php?format=file&media_id=CharisSILVariants4.106&filename=CharisSILVariants4.106.pdf
Section "Slant italic specials"

On a mac, this is called 'slanted italics special forms' in the typography settings, 'alternate forms'. Don't expect Microsoft to have support for such features...

best
michael