Publishing

Johanna NICHOLS johanna at BERKELEY.EDU
Thu Apr 4 06:20:08 UTC 2013

Later I'll log in to the LSA Ethics blog and comment there, but quickly:
Publisher X conducts peer review, has a history of publishing grammars that
meet the field's standards, prints on archive-quality paper, and has
advertising, distribution, and a conference presence that make its
publications known to the world.  When my university judges publications by
"quality", this is what it means.

But the issue of price is critical, and no academic should have to
singlehandedly fight to have a good-quality but open-access or inexpensive
publication recognized by a tenure committee. This is why we have
professional societies.

Johanna Nichols