definite article incompatible with the plural

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Sun Aug 4 20:42:14 UTC 2013

Numeral classifiers in Vietnamese and Cantonese may come close to what
you are looking for.  In these languages, a NP may consist entirely of
classifier plus noun, ie. with no numeral or other modifier present.
Such constructions are generally interpreted as being singular and
definite.  Of course, if you add a numeral than the NP is no longer
singular or definite, so this is may not be exactly what you are after,
but there is some affinit ...  Of course, it may seem strange to apply
the term "article" to a "classifier", but then what is an article, really?

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/