grammatical coding of proper names

Matthew Dryer dryer at BUFFALO.EDU
Tue Dec 3 18:27:52 UTC 2013

A language that treats proper nouns differently from common nouns is
Meryam Mir, an Eastern Trans-Fly language spoken on islands between the
mainlands of Australia and Papua New Guinea but which belong politically
to Australia.

Meryam Mir is interesting in that it exhibits four different systems of
alignment within the same language.  The case system for pronouns is
nominative-accusative, the case system for common nouns is
ergative-absolutive, and the case system for proper nouns is tripartite,
with an accusative case that does not occur with common nouns.

In addition, the head marking system on verbs can be described as split
intransitive.

Piper, N. (1989). A sketch grammar of Meryam Mer. Australian National
University.

(A version Piper’s thesis has recently been published by Lincom Europa;
I do not know if it differs from the thesis.)

Matthew Dryer, Professor
Department of Linguistics
616 Baldy Hall
University at Buffalo (SUNY)