formal vs. functional account

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at EVA.MPG.DE
Mon Dec 23 05:38:23 UTC 2013

Lise says that "a psycholinguistic/diachronic account doesn't obviate
the need for a formal account", but Dan's original question was about
human language *in general*. So I don't quite agree with her:

I'd say we need "formal accounts" (schemas/constructions like Bruce's
three-foot constraint) at the language-particular level, but functional
accounts at the general level, to account for cross-linguistically
general phenomena. So it's not about "different folks" having different
preferences. It's about different problems requiring different solutions.

In the generative approach, the two things are conflated and
constructions/schemas/rules are assumed to take care of cross-linguistic
generalizations as well, not just of language-particular
generalizations. That's just wrong, it seems to me. The case of morph
length is just one (particularly spectacular, or trivial, depending on
your perspective) example: A generaivist would have to formulate a UG
principle that accounts for the relatively uniform length of morphs.
That the explanation is functional (referring to neighbourhood density,
or simply ambiguity avoidance, as Lise mentioned) is really obvious
here. Any language-particular constraints that one would identify are
only distantly related to the functional explanation of the
cross-linguistic trend.

Greetings,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at eva.mpg.de)
Max-Planck-Institut fuer evolutionaere Anthropologie, Deutscher Platz 6