PhD scholarships at LCRC, JCU

Alexandra Aikhenvald a.y.aikhenvald at LIVE.COM
Tue Feb 5 00:34:29 UTC 2013

PhD scholarship in
Anthropological Linguistics

                   under the leadership of Professor Alexandra
Aikhenvald

within the Language and
Culture Research Centre, JCU, Australia‏

Applications are invited, from
suitably qualified students, to work under the leadership of Professor
Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald (Australian Laureate Fellow) and Professor R. M. W.
Dixon. The project offers a PhD scholarships to produce a comprehensive grammar
of a language from the Sepik or an adjacent area of Papua New Guinea, with special
attention to linguistic and social conceptualization of gender. Work will
involve extensive immersion fieldwork in exciting and challenging location.

                Students will enter the
PhD program of the Language and Culture Research Centre in James Cook
University Australia. Supervision will be provided by Professors Alexandra Y.
Aikhenvald, and R. M. W. Dixon, and other members of the Centre.

                   This
scholarship is embedded within the Australian Laureate Fellowship Project 'How
gender shapes the world: a linguistic perspective PhDs in Australian
universities generally involve no coursework, just a substantial dissertation.
Good and comprehensive training in linguistics is essential. Candidates must
thus have had a thorough coursework training before embarking on this PhD
program. This should have included courses on morphology, syntax, semantics,
and phonology/phonetics, taught from a non-formalist perspective. We place
emphasis on work that has a sound empirical basis but also shows a firm
theoretical orientation (in terms of general typological theory, or what has
recently come to be called basic linguistic theory).

                   Distinguished Professor
Alexandra Aikhenvald is Research Leader for People and Societies of the
Tropics, and Australian Laureate Fellow. Together with Professor R. M. W.
Dixon, she heads the Language and Culture Research Centre, which includes four Research
Fellows and eight doctoral students. In addition, senior scholars from across
the world opt to spend their sabbatical in the LCRC. This is the premier group
in the world of linguistic scholars all working on theoretically informed
language description.

                   The scholarship will be
paid at a higher level than the standard James Cook University rate (AUD
$27,652 pa). Students coming from overseas are liable for a tuition fee; but
this is likely to be waived in the case of a

student of high merit. An appropriate allowance will be made to cover fieldwork
expenses and conference attendance.

The deadline for applications is 15
March 2013

Successful applicants should take up their PhD scholarships between June and
September 2013.

It is absolutely essential that
interested applicants should first get in touch with Professor Alexandra Y.
Aikhenvald (Alexandra.Aikhenvald @jcu.edu.au), providing
details of their background, qualifications and interests (including a
curriculum vitae). Applicants are advised to send samples of their written work
in linguistics (at least some of this should be in English). Competitive
applicants will then be provided with details concerning the application
process.

Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, PhD, DLitt, FAHA

Distinguished Professor and Australian Laureate Fellow

Director of Language and Culture Research Centre

The Cairns Institute

James Cook University

PO Box 6811, Cairns

Queensland 4870, Australia

mobile 0400 305315

office 61-7-40421117

Alexandra.Aikhenvald at jcu.edu.au

http://www.jcu.edu.au/sass/staff/JCUPRD_043649.html

http://www.aikhenvaldlinguistics.com/

https://eresearch.jcu.edu.au/spaces/TLA
or https://plone.jcu.edu.au/researchatjcu/research/lcrc

Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, PhD, DLitt, FAHA

Distinguished Professor and Australian Laureate Fellow
Director of the Language and Culture Research Centre
James Cook University
PO Box 6811, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia
http://www.jcu.edu.au/faess/JCUPRD_043649.html
mobile 0400 305315, office 61-7-40421117
fax 61-7-4042 1880  http://www.aikhenvaldlinguistics.com/