Inquiry: Changes in meaning and argument structure of verbs!

johanna.barddal@uib.no johanna.barddal at UIB.NO
Wed Jan 23 17:16:52 UTC 2013

Apologies for multiple postings!

I have a student who is comparing predicates in Old and Modern
Russian, in particular to which degree changes in argument and
predicate structure is concomitant with changes in meaning. There is a
consensus in the field that changes in meaning can also result in
changes in argument structure, but I wonder to which degree this has
been documented historically. I would therefore appreciate references
to any work on this topic that you guys might know of.

I'll post a summary of the responses for the list.

Best,
Jóhanna Barðdal

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Jóhanna Barðdal
Research Associate Professor
Coeditor of the Journal of Historical Linguistics
Department of Linguistic, Literary and Aesthetic Studies
University of Bergen
P.O. box 7805
NO-5020 Bergen
Norway