query: grammaticalization go/be.in > negation

Everett, Daniel DEVERETT at BENTLEY.EDU
Thu Jan 31 12:16:48 UTC 2013

In Pirahã, David, the relevant construction is:
 hi-ab-áo-b-á
it-negative-completive-perfective-remote (out of control of speaker)

hi-ab-a (without aspectual morphology) is used for 'no' or 'didn't'

The former has the sense of 'to have run out' but is very similar in many contexts to 'allgone.'

-- Dan