grammaticalization query: 'see' to 'VERIFY'

Joseph T. Farquharson jtfarquharson at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 28 20:20:28 UTC 2013

As a lexical verb, English *see* and its Jamaican Creole (which is an
English-lexified creole) counterpart *si*, has this verificative sense.
This, I guess, is in keeping with the "seeing is believing" notion, where
one can verify for oneself that something is true by seeing it. This can at
least account for the starting point of the process of grammaticalisation
and how this verb in another language could come to be used as an affix
bearing verificative meaning/function.

Joseph

--
*Joseph T. Farquharson*
*Lecturer
Email 1: jtfarquharson at gmail.com
Email 2: joseph.farquharson at sta.uwi.edu
*
*Website: **https://sites.google.com/site/jtfarquharson/*<http://www.jotifa.com>
*New co-edited book: Variation in the
Caribbean<http://www.benjamins.com/cgi-bin/t_bookview.cgi?bookid=CLL+37>(2011)
*

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His
children. Godliness--godlikeness--is the goal to be reached. Before the
student there is opened a path of continual progress. He has an object to
achieve, a standard to attain, that includes everything good, and pure, and
noble. He will advance as fast and as far as possible in every branch of
true knowledge. But his efforts will be directed to objects as much higher
than mere selfish and temporal interests as the heavens are higher than the
earth. - E. G. White