Reduplication

David Gil gil at EVA.MPG.DE
Sun Mar 3 12:11:19 UTC 2013

Giorgio's post reminds me that (partially or completely) reduplicated
nicknames are very common in the languages of the Philippines and
Indonesia, eg. Tagalog "noynoy" ultimately from Spanish 'Benigno'.
Often such reduplication has a kind of ideophonic flavour, violating the
regular phonotactics of the language, eg. Minangkabau "?a?ã" (nickname
of unknown origin).  Reduplication is also common with kinship terms in
the region, eg. Malay/Indonesian "kaka(?)" for 'elder sibling'.  And
then there is baby-talk reduplication for bodily functions, eg.
Malay/Indonesian "?e?e" or "?o?o" for 'poopoo'.

As suggested by 'poopoo', none of these are specific to East or
Southeast Asia; they are all cross-linguistically widespread.  Somewhat
further afield (semantically), reduplication is known to commonly
express notions of atelicity, attenuation, and playful imitation, which
would seem to constitute plausible sources for the development of a
diminutive meaning.

--
David Gil

Department of Linguistics
Deutscher Platz 6, D-04103 Leipzig, Germany

Telephone: 49-341-3550321 Fax: 49-341-3550119
Email: gil at eva.mpg.de
Webpage:  http://www.eva.mpg.de/~gil/