Reduplication

Anvita Abbi anvitaabbi at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 3 15:42:41 UTC 2013

Dear Scott,
Base reduplication for diminutives or for approximation of taste and color
adjectives is common in most of the Indo-Aryan languages , e.g.
*hari '*green'* *but *hari hari *'greenish' or
*karwa *'bitter' but *karwa karwa *'somewhat bitter' in Hindi.
Munda languages such as Kharia also have similar structures, e.g.
*goej*  'dead' but *goej goej* 'dead-like'.
Kurux, a North Dravidian language shares the structure with Hindi because
of contact with IA languages.
Austroasiatic languages such as Khasi is very rich in expressive morphology
to indicate diminutive meaning but the non reduplicated part can not be
considered a base as it has no meaning of its own.
For details see *Reduplication in South Asian languages. An areal,
typological and historical study *(1991) by Anvita Abbi.. Allied Publishers.
Anvita

--
Prof. Anvita Abbi
Centre for Linguistics