NEG Raising

Hartmut Haberland hartmut at RUC.DK
Sat May 18 04:56:14 UTC 2013

Funny, both in Danish and German the b. sentence for hope (hoffen/håbe) are OK, so NEG raising is possible.
Hartmut Haberland

Sendt fra min iPhone

Den 17/05/2013 kl. 15.45 skrev "Christopher T Collins" <cc116 at NYU.EDU<mailto:cc116 at NYU.EDU>>:

Dear Bjoem,

Thank you for the Noonan reference! Very helpful.

The opus classicus is:

Horn, Laurence R., 1978. Remarks on neg-raising. In Pragmatics. Peter Cole (ed.)129-220. New York: Academic Press.

He talks about which predicates allow NEG Raising and which do not. For example, "hope" does not:

a. I hope that he is not a werewolf.
b. I don't hope that he is a werewolf

Also, "certain" does not:

a. I am certain he is not a werewolf
b. I  am not certain he is a werewolf

He also has a pragmatic theory of which predicates allow NEG Raising and which do not (he calls the ones that
do allow it, mid-scalars). Although he is careful to note that there are exceptions.

I do not think that there has been a serious typological investigation of the issue,
and the results would be really interesting.

Chris