accusative + analytical DO markers

Sergey Lyosov sergelyosov at INBOX.RU
Sun May 26 12:09:23 UTC 2013

 Dear José,
thanks a lot, this is an ingenious example. Sure we can say "a ti te quiero" etc. And I wonder if an analytical DOM is compatible with a genuine substantival case as well, in the languages that inflect sunstantives for case.
  All best,
   Sergey

Воскресенье, 26 мая 2013, 12:58 +02:00 от "José M. García-Miguel"<gallego at UVIGO.ES>:
>As Paolo says, DOM is a well-kown
      feature of some Romance languages giving place to prepositional
      marking of some Direct Objects.
>But, I guess that the examples proposed by Paolo do not qualify as
      "having both the accusative case and analytical direct object
      markers (pre- or postpositions)", that Sergey was looking for.
      Nouns do not vary for case, and I would not say that  Maria  is
      accusative [case] in  Ho visto a Maria.
>However, personal independent pronouns and pronominal clitics
      do vary for case: Spanish  yo  [Nominative] 'I' vs mí  [not-Nominative, prepositional case] 'me' vs  me [1sg clitic], and in 3rd person clitics Accusative  lo(s),
        la(s)   vs Dative  le(s)
>Thus ,  in Sp. Me ha visto a mi  '(s)he
      has seen me', the object is expressed by 1sg clitic  me ,
      the preposition  a , and the non-Nominative  mi

>A 3rd person accusative clitic is compatible with an  a -marked
      Directo Object in the same clause (this is a common pattern in
      some varieties of Spanish, mainly Buenos Aires Sp.,  and less
      common in other varieties):

>La          he     visto a       Maria
>3.ACC.F have seen PREP Maria
>'I have seen Maria'
>
>This example has "both the accusative case [in the clitic  la ]
      and an analytical direct object marker [preposition  a ]",
      but the accusative case is not in the name  Maria.

>All best,
>Jose M. Garcia-Miguel
>University of Vigo
>
>El 26/05/2013 11:53, Paolo Ramat escribió:
>>Dear All,
>>DOM as obligatory marking of Direct Object (DO) is a
            well-known feature of (South)Italian dialects and other
            Romance varieties (e.g. Catalan)
>>I wouldn’t consider Ich gehe durch den Gang as
            an ex. of DO. As Sergey rightly states, we have here a PP
            specifying the notion of ‘gehen’.
>>But when you have  Ho visto  a Maria ‘I saw Mary’ instead of standard Italian  Ho visto
              Maria, Catal .  les
                  monges     no
                  estimen  a les nenes    ‘the
                    nuns don’t lik the girls’,  a is a real DO marker and the construction is Nomin./Accus.
            The use of DOM is subject to certain constraints: the OBJ
            has to be [+human] or, at least, [+anim],[+definite] etc.
            OUP 2012. Iemmolo, Giorgio (2009), La
                marcatura differenziale dell’oggetto in siciliano
                antico.    Arch. Glottol. Ital. 94: 185-    225;  Iemmolo, Giorgio and Gerson Klumpp (in
                  preparation).  Differential Object Marking:
                    theoretical and empirical issues . Special issue
                  of  Linguistics .

>>All best
>>Paolo

                  markers

>>Dear Ewa,
>>thanks a lot!
>>Your Polish example
              is as follows:

>>-           zaatakować   ‘attack, assault’
              + NPACC
>>-           napaść   ‘attack, assault’
              + preposition   na   with a
              NPACC (a grammaticalized allative construction).
>>The cognate Russian
              verbs have the same government:
>>atakovat' ‘attack,
              assault’ + NPACC
>>napast' ‘attack, assault’ + preposition   na   with a
              NPACC

>>Our colleague Scott
                T. Shell suggests me (within this thread) a
              similar example from
>>German:
>>
>>Den            Mann
                habe    ich                gesehen.
>>DEF.ACC  man      AUX
                1SG.NOM   saw
>>'I say the man.'
>>
>>Ich                 gehe
                durch     den               Gang
>>1SG.NOM    go       through
                DEF.ACC    hallway
>>'I go through the hallway.'
>>  Yet neither Polish/Russian  na nor German durch are Direct
                Object Markers pure and simple, they both retain their
                meanings as lative/locative prepositions. What I am
                looking for is a “pure” and (under certain conditions)
                obligatory Direct Object Marker (like `et in Hebrew)
                which synchronically has no other (more concrete)
                meanings. I wonder if this kind of DOM is at all
                compatible with ACC (which would amount to double
                marking of the Direct Object).
>>I will address your Coptic
                example in the next email.
>>  All best,
>>  Sergey
>>
>>Суббота, 25 мая 2013, 16:37 UTC от "Zakrzewska, E.D." <E.D.Zakrzewska at uva.nl> :
>>>Dear Sergey,

                            good example is Polish, compare:
>>>-          zaatakować ‘attack, assault’ + NPACC
>>>-          napaść ‘attack, assault’ + preposition  na  with
                            a NPACC (a grammaticalized allative
                            construction).

>>>Another
                            example may be Coptic (Afroasiatic, the
                            final stage of Ancient Egyptian). In Coptic
                            there are two strategies to mark the direct
                            object: head-marking and dependent-marking.
                            Head-marking involves the use of the
                            so-called  construct
                            or pronominal state allomorph of the verb to
                            which a nominal, respectively pronominal
                            direct object is attached. When the verb
                            appears in the absolute state allomorph,  dependent-marking
                            of the object by means of a preposition is
                            required. Several prepositions can occur in
                            this function, of which  n- (dedicated preposition) and  e- (grammaticalization of the allative) are
                            most important.
>>>Basic
                            information about Coptic grammar can be
                            found in  Reintges
                            C.H.,  Coptic Egyptian (Sahidic dialect):
                              a learner's grammar ,  Köln:
                            Köppe, 2004. I’m currently working on a
                            comprehensive article on transitivity in
                            Coptic, to be published in the  Proceedings
                              of the 10th International Congress of
                              Coptic Studies in Rome and I can send
                            you a copy soon.

>>>Best