Caveat emptor

Everett, Daniel DEVERETT at BENTLEY.EDU
Tue Sep 17 11:03:02 UTC 2013

Sebastian,

I think that the joy of doing the PhD fades for people when they see what they have received in exchange for it.

On the one hand, there  is this positive article that agrees with you: http://www.psmag.com/education/why-you-should-go-to-graduate-school-in-the-humanities-59821/

But it sidesteps the main issues. And it in effect admits that we have always admitted too many.

A more realistic piece: http://www.kellimarshall.net/teaching-academia/phd-false-hope/

And yet another popular-level blog: http://100rsns.blogspot.com/2011/04/55-there-are-too-many-phds.html

The main observation for me, however, is the adjunct professor situation. And that is what happens to too large a number of bright young PhDs in the humanities.

-- Dan