language loss and climate change

Caroline Imbert imbert.caroline at GMAIL.COM
Tue Apr 8 08:15:53 UTC 2014

Dear all --

I do not know if this is precisely the kind of literature you are
looking for, Nigel, but two articles come to mind right now:

- One that I have read : "Parallel extinction risk and global
distribution of languages and species", by William J. Sutherland, in
the "Letters to Nature" section of Nature, Vol. 423, 15 May 2003.

- One that I have not read and therefore am unable to comment further
: "Co-occurrence of linguistic and biological diversity in
biodiversity hotspots and high biodiversity wilderness areas", by L.
J. Gorenflo, S. Romaine, R. A. Mittermeier and K. Walker-Painemilla,
in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), 7 May
2012.

The article by Sutherland comes from Life and Ecology Sciences and
proposes interesting quantification criteria along a number of common
factors of extinction.

I am convinced that Biology and Linguistics have a lot to discuss, and
I was glad to hear quite a number of people recently comparing
dynamics and mechanisms of species extinction and language extinction,
or indeed including languages as a kind of species along plants, fish,
mammals, for the sake of argument.

Best,
Caroline

Caroline IMBERT