language loss and climate change

Lenore Grenoble grenoble at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Apr 8 09:23:08 UTC 2014

I feel I should chime in on the original question, which I understood be
the link between climate change and language loss, (and not the link with
species loss).

This is something I have been thinking about for several years and have
been working in Greenland, where climate change is dramatic, with climate
change scientists (biologists, geologists, ice engineers) for the last 6
years or so.

I am convinced that the connection between language change (and loss) and
climate change is indirect. Climate change brings about cultural change,
even disruption, and that changes language vitality and also has an effect
on languages that do not shift. If a community living in a coastal region
is displaced because of climate change (such as Shishmareff, Alaska,
literally melting into the sea), then the move itself is often to a more
urban region, a less isolated region, and so on, and that often
facilitates language shift. But this is an indirect effect.

In Greenland, language vitality is not directly affected by climate
change. Changes in climate have affected the lexicon: farmers in southern
Greenland are now farming potatoes; strawberries were introduced last
year. People in the far northern regions still are able to talk about
different sea ice conditions, but as the sea ice thins, the need to will
change (or disappear) and so will their lexicons. (Greenlanders living in
regions without extensive sea ice consistently refer me to northerners
when I try to talk about ice with them.) But these are superficial
changes; people in southern Greenland know more about plants because there
are more plants there, not because of any structural properties of the
language.

That said, climate change in Greenland has brought about massive economic
development and an influx of foreigner developers, primarily looking for
oil and minerals. As their projects develop, to the best of my knowledge
all foreign companies are planning on bringing in foreign workers. Some
will leave after a couple of years and some will stay, but we are talking
about numbers of foreign workers who will significantly outnumber the
local populations in most cases. This will inevitably create new language
contact situations and, based on historical experience, it seems safe to
predict that relatively few of these workers (or their bosses) will learn
much if any Greenlandic.

To look at the situation differently, in the pan-Arctic region there is
extensive climate change everywhere. Language vitality does not appear to
be correlated with it but with other social factors: Inupiaq is highly
endangered in Alaska but Kalaallisut (West Greenlandic) is robustly spoken
in Greenland. But climate change does affect those social factors and
could well accelerate shift, but again, indirectly.

If anyone knows of evidence against this, that there is a direct
correlation, I would be very interested.
Lenore